Low-Carb, high in protein, and made with healthy fats, this Whole30 Foolproof Cod recipe comes together in just 20 minutes with just 5 ingredients. Make it for the perfect date night meal or easy weeknight dinner!
If you’re new here, you’ll quickly learn that I’m a huge fan of seafood! In fact, I use so much, I even took out a subscription for Sitka Salmon Shares to ensure my family’s seafood is always ethically caught and sustainably sourced. If you haven’t checked it out, I highly recommend you do so soon!
Upon a delivery, I found myself with an abundance of Cod. A problem I’m always happy to have. However, when dinnertime came around, I found myself wanting to switch things up from my usual recipes. The problem was, I only had about half an hour. When I looked at the clock, panic set in. Is it possible to have a full meal made with healthy ingredients on the table in less than 30 minutes?
Thanks to this Whole30 Cod recipe, I’m happy to say not only is it possible, it’s easy to do! Even better, this recipe uses only 1 baking sheet, and cleanup is a breeze so you can get back to what really matters.
Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients for Whole30 Cod
As mentioned, to keep things as quick and easy as possible, this Foolproof Cod is made with only 5 minimal ingredients you likely already have on hand. Of course, you can experiment and add or remove ingredients as you see fit. For example, a marinade would taste delicious. Or, you could add extra seasonings such as rosemary, tarragon, or basil. However, the original recipe requires only the following ingredients.
- Cod – If you prefer to use a different protein source, I recommend a light tasting alternative such as tilapia or chicken.
- Fat – For this recipe, I used ghee. However, you could use any fat source you have on hand such as butter or olive oil. Just make sure it aligns with your dietary needs!
- Salt & Pepper – Season your fish to taste, using as much or as little salt and pepper as you like.
- Lemon – Lemon juice works to bring out the natural flavors of the fish.
- Parsley – If you don’t have parsley, feel free to omit it or substitute it for something such as cilantro, chives, or celery leaves.
How to Make Whole30 Cod
To make this Foolproof Cod, start by heating your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and brush 2 Tablespoons of ghee on the paper. Next, pat the cod free of any excess liquid, and place it on top of the parchment paper.
Sprinkle the fish with parsley, salt, and pepper before adding a squeeze of lemon juice. Then, place sliced lemon pieces on top of the fish.
Place the pan in the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes depending on the size of your fillets. You’ll know it’s done cooking when the cod turns slightly opaque and flakes with a fork.
Luckily, if you don’t want to spend time heating up your oven, cod can be cooked in a variety of ways! This article shows great methods for pan-fried, pan-seared, and pan-grilled cod. However, it can also be made in the air fryer or grill using the same ingredients and instructions as listed below. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as necessary.
How to Prevent Cod from Becoming Rubbery
A common complaint I get is that cod is difficult to cook as it becomes rubbery and tough to chew. However, this is easily preventable. The secret to cooking perfectly moist and flaky fish is to avoid overcooking it. The use of fat and lemon juice in this Whole30 cod recipe locks in the natural moisture of the fish and helps it cook in a quick manner. As a result, you should never have dry, rubbery fish again.
If you’re planning on making extra cod for meal prep, be sure to store your fish in either shallow airtight containers or well wrapped in aluminum foil. When kept properly, cod will stay fresh in the fridge and safe to eat for 3-4 days.
You’ll know your cod has gone bad if it starts to exhibit a slimy texture or produces a sour, fish-like smell.
How to Serve this Whole30 Cod Recipe for a Healthy Meal
One thing I love about fish is how versatile it can be! From rice bowls, to tacos, and everything in between, there’s not much you can’t do with fish – especially cod. My favorite way to enjoy this dish is alongside a healthy vegetable, and if you aren’t being too strict with your diet, a carb source.
For example, this recipe is great served with Whole30 Smashed Potatoes and my favorite Roasted Green Beans. Or, serve it on top of cauliflower rice with a fancy sauce and mixed veggies. Heck, I’ve even seen cod sandwiches! Dress it up as much or as little as you like. No matter how you choose to serve it, this Whole30 cod recipe is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser!
However, I’m always looking for ideas and inspiration and would love to see how you choose to serve this recipe! Let me know if you have any tips, suggestions, or tricks down in the comments below.
Of course, if you make this or any of my other recipes, please tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations, connect, and share your page. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Stay tuned for new recipes, easy meal plans, decoration tips, and more every week!
Looking for more fish recipes?
- Pan-Roasted Cod with an Orange Basil Relish
- Whole30 Pan-Seared Cod with Spring Vegetables and Mustard Vinaigrette
- Perfect Blackened Cod
- Foolproof Baked Salmon
In the meantime, enjoy!
- 1.5 lbs Cod
- 2 tbsp Fat (I used ghee)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 Lemon – divided
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line baking baking sheet with parchment paper, and brush 2T ghee (or other fat like olive or avocado oil) on the parchment paper
- Pat cod with paper towel to remove excess moisture
- Place cod on top of fat of choice, sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon over the fish, and thinly slice the other half and place on top while baking
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on size of fillet. You want to see the meat look opague and start to flake- that’s how you know it’s done – this piece was in for 15 minutes
P.S. This page may contain affiliate links. Of course, you’re not obligated to use them, but I appreciate the love if you do!