Festive candies, sweet chocolate, and salty popcorn combine in this Valentine’s Day Popcorn Mix for a sweet and salty treat that is so easy to make! Combine all of the ingredients for a satisfying snack your whole family will love.
Love Is In the Air
Can you guys believe that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner? It feels like Christmas was just yesterday! This year is already flying by, but I’m never one to pass up an excuse to get a little festive. If I’m being totally honest, Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. Of course, it’s important to show our loved ones we care every day, but it feels a little extra special on February 14th. Am I right?
Whether you take your significant other out on a fancy date night, participate in a special activity with your kiddos, or even just say a genuine thank you to someone you appreciate, letting others know they’re important always feels good. All of these things are great, but one of my all-time favorite things to do on Valentine’s Day is to have a super fun movie night with the boys. Of course, it wouldn’t be movie night without a snack to go along with it, would it?
So, to celebrate the holiday and satisfy our sweet tooth without feeling too guilty, I whipped up this super tasty Valentine’s Day Popcorn Mix! The perfect combination of sweet and salty, this recipe comes together in minutes and isn’t completely loaded with sugar for a slightly better for you treat that’s just as tasty. Of course, feel free to mix and match your favorite ingredients to make this popcorn mix your own! However, to get started, keep reading to find out what you’ll need, how it all comes together, and more.
Ingredients You’ll Need
The ingredients needed for this popcorn mix are super simple and easy to find at your local grocery store if you don’t have them on hand!
- White Chocolate – Any form of white chocolate works! I recommend using chocolate chips or chocolate bark, but you could even melt candy bars if you prefer.
- Popcorn – Pre-popped, microwave, and kernels can all be used for this recipe. Choose whatever you like best!
- Sprinkles – I like to add a big helping of different pink and red sprinkles to really up the festivity. Heart shapes would be super cute, too!
- Salt – Trust me when I say, don’t skimp out on the salt! You’ll need it to balance out the sugary sweetness of the M&M’s and chocolate.
- M&M’s – I always opt for the special Valentine’s day M&M colors for this mix, but regular colors or different flavored M&M’s work, too.
- Pretzels – I use standard twisty pretzels, but sticks are great for easy snacking!
How to Make the Best Popcorn
Of course, if you want to save some time, you can absolutely use microwaveable popcorn. However, I prefer to pop my own kernels on the stovetop! Here’s how:
- Heat. To begin, heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add two popcorn kernels, cover the pan with a lid, and wait for the kernels to pop.
- Pour. Once the kernels pop, turn off the heat, pour the remaining kernels into the pan, and cover it with a lid again.
- Shake. Once covered, shake the kernels in the pan to make sure they are evenly distributed, and let the pan rest for 60 minutes to cool just slightly.
- Return to Heat. After this time, return the pan to the stovetop on medium heat, carefully shaking the pan every so often.
- Cook. Once the kernels begin to pop, release just a bit of steam by tilting part of the lid up for a few seconds. Then, continue to let the kernels cook until the popping sounds begin to slow down.
- Serve. Once all popping has stopped, pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
How to Make the Best Popcorn Mix
Once your popcorn has been made, you’re ready to finish your Valentine’s Day Mix! I know it’s hard to wait, but it only takes a few more minutes when you follow the steps below. (I won’t tell if you sneak a few bites of popcorn, either.)
- Melt. To begin, add ½ cup of white chocolate to a microwave-safe dish, and heat it in the microwave for 4-seconds. Then, stir and continue to heat the chocolate in intervals of 15 seconds, stirring in between until it is fully melted.
- Add to Baking Sheet. Next, line a baking sheet, and spread the popcorn over it in an even layer.
- Coat. Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the popcorn. Then, generously scatter sprinkles and salt on top.
- Chill. Once your popcorn has been coated to your liking, allow it to cool until the chocolate hardens. If you’re a bit impatient like me, feel free to pop it in the fridge for about 15 minutes to speed up the process.
- Mix. To finish, carefully mix in your festive m&m’s and pretzels.
Where Can I Find Festive M&M’s?
During the holiday season, festive M&M’s can be found at most stores. However, I’ve found the best places to get them all year long, especially if you want individualized colors instead of mixes, are at local party supply stores, candy shops, and the M&M website!
How Long Does Popcorn Mix Last?
In all honesty, this recipe never lasts more than an hour or two at the most in my house and is best served fresh. Yet, if you make a big batch, it can be kept in an airtight container for a couple of days. However, I will note that it tends to become just a bit chewy as the popcorn absorbs moisture.
More Valentine’s Day Ideas (Snacks, Crafts, & More!)
- Valentine’s Day Advent
- A Complete Valentine’s Day Guide
- Date Night Dinner: Broiled Lobster Tail
- Sweet Treat: Yogurt Bark
If you give this Valentine’s Day Popcorn Mix a try, I would love it if you let me know in the comments below!
In the meantime, enjoy!